About Us:

A brief look into our history


The Clintwood Volunteer Fire Department and its 40 volunteer members are dedicated to the community and the citizens who live within the corporate limits and rural areas surrounding the town. Not only does the department work to suppress structure fires, but we also assist police and rescue at motor vehicle accidents, search and rescue, fight forest fires, clean up hazardous spills and do traffic control when the need arises.


For over half a century, dedicated caring individuals have worked to protect the town and county. In February of 1950, the Mayor and Town Council were comprised completely of women who had the foresight to request that a committee be formed to study the feasibility of a town fire department. Minnie C. Miller was mayor and her council was made up of Ida M. Cunningham, Kate Friend, Marion Shortt, and Ferne Skeen, Buena Smith. Hetty S. Sutherland served as Clerk for the town.


At the meeting held on February 22, the council appointed Avon Sykes, Wright Cater and Charles Breder a committee to study the practicality of purchasing a truck with improvised equipment for fighting fire.
On March 6, Breder informed council that the committee had determined the purchase of fire fighting equipment was practical if enough men could be found who were interested in learning to operate the equipment and would keep in training in order to be efficient in fighting fires. Council directed the committee to keep working toward the goal of forming a fire department for the town.


After several demonstrations given by Howe Fire Apparatus Company of Hazard, Kentucky, the committee went to work to determine what fire truck and equipment should be purchased.


In October, the committee suggested that one person should be responsible for maintenance of the equipment and fire truck and that there be a sufficient number of fire fighters. The committee also said there would need to be provisions requiring practice in fighting fires, quick response from all connected with the department. They also suggested that one person should be in charge of fire scenes that could tell other members what to do and be responsible for the truck and equipment.

It was also suggested that the fire chief should live in the corporate limits and designate one night each week to conduct a practice session fighting fires. They determined that at least four (4) men should be trained to operate the equipment properly. These men would also zone the town. Once selected, they would give their telephone numbers to the operator and in case of fire, the operator would call these four men. The first man contacted was responsible in getting the truck to the fire and there would be certain signals to identify where the fire was located. Those interested in forming a fire department at that time were Wright Carter, Roy Thomason, Howard Deel, Sam Turman, Sam Marshall, A.A. Skeen, Jr. John W. Chase and John Shortbreder also suggested that a basic charge be determined if the fire fighting equipment is needed outside the town limits. At the December 19 called meeting, purchase of additional fire fighting equipment and locating a site for a fire station was discussed. Victor Robinson, fire instructor and S.A. Turman, fire chief, were asked to look at a site and give an estimate of the space that would be needed.

Council members suggested that the building should have a lavatory, shower, place for firemen’s clothing and a drying rack for hose, etc. In February of 1951, it was determined that $100.00 would be charged when the fire truck was taken out of the corporation for the first three hours and also be charged $35.00 for each additional hour the fire department and equipment was needed. In March, Sam Marshall reported to Council that the hose and fire equipment were overdue. On May 7, 1951, fire chief, Sam Marshall requested that all firemen receive the town tags free of charge. He also asked that the fire alarm be moved from the top of the bank building to another place on the front street so it could be heard more clearly in town. He also requested council to provide funds for purchase of the essentials of “fire uniforms". June 4, 1951, Marshall suggested that the town might be able to purchase the old jail for a fire house. On September 27, 1951, council approved a motion to provide $4,000 for building a fire house. November 11, 1951, council decided to try and get lot from the school board.

Contact Us

(276) 926-4076

206 Volunteer Ave, Clintwood Virginia 46347

Provided By: